Coffee Help!

Created by baer161 on Jan. 30, 2013, 2:27 p.m.
  • I'm fairly new to the mechanics of coffee. I'm 16 and all my life my family has mad made coffee in the morning on a regular pot with pre-grounded coffee. I know coffee differs through places when I buy it. The coffee I love the most has a thickness to it, almost like a cappuccino. I was wondering if there is a way to brew coffee with thickness or homemade solutions for making cappuccinos.

• @baer161:

Cappuccinos have steamed, frothed milk in them, are you asking how to do that at home?

• Hey man,

You should buy a mocca pot

and maybe a milk frother of some kind. That way you can make thick cappucinos and what not

• Or if you're just asking for coffees with a "thick" mouthfeel, look for African or Asian coffees. South American coffees are super acidic and taste really "clean" or "bright." Africans are really earthy (more "heavy" than "thick" if it makes sense), while most Asian beans are low-acid because of the volcanic soil which gives them a thicker feel. If you want to see what a more or less "acid free" coffee tastes like look for something called "Monsooned Malabar" beans. Monsooned Malabar is a process where the beans are left out in the rain during the monsoon season, which leeches all the acid out of them and basically makes them pH neutral. It kind of tastes like dirt, but it's very different and might be closer to what you're looking for.

• @lane: Those Monsooned Malabar beans sound pretty interesting. I think I'll see if I can get those here :)

• The only way to make real cappuccino foam is to steam it. If you don't have a cappuccino maker, or a milk steamer, you can't make cappuccino foam the way they do in the coffee shop. Once you wake up and smell the coffee, it’s hard to go back to sleep.

• @baer161:Get yourself an Aeropress and a

You'll never have to spend another dime at a coffee shop.

• Get yourself an Aeropress and a Bodum Milk Frother

You'll never have to spend another dime at a coffee shop.

• @Rallier: True, but it has a cult following…and certainly not from it's slick website.

• @Pictomo: The bodum instructs you to froth milk 60-90 times, then heat. Nononooooooo….heat milk to 160 degrees F and then plunge till milk triples. 8-10 times….swirl in the pitcher and free pour onto your perfectly pulled aeropress shots. Perfection! I have saved so much $$$ by not brewing a full pot and then not drinking it all.

• Who sells the aero press?