camera/gear for a hiking trip

Created by Darren on Oct. 5, 2015, 5:59 a.m.
  • I'm headed to Chile next month for a hiking/camping trip in Patagonia's Torres del Paine.

I currently have a really old Nikon D60 (maybe 7 years old?), kit lens, 50mm and a 70-200mm. Also have a camera backpack that I store the gear in.

For the last few years I've been telling myself that its time to finally upgrade to a better camera. My D60 has been with me to a lot of places and its provided me some really nice photos (African safari, Machu Pichu, Galapagos, etc.) and I feel that I'm ready for a mid-level or professional camera. BUT they're so bloody expensive.

Even though my D60 is light compared to a larger full frame camera (at least I think so), its a pain to sling around me and a backpack for my upcoming trip (10 days of hiking). The Olympus micro 4/3 system does sound appealing in that they're lighter and I can just throw it into any kind of backpack. I figure all my clothes will keep whatever camera I bring nice and safe.

The downside of buying into a micro 4/3 system is that I'd have to get used to a new camera and have to buy new lenses and try and sell my old stuff. Also is the 300-350 photos per battery a good approximation of battery life? I would have to take in the cost of extra batteries in consideration.

I've had my eye out on the Olympus OM-D E-M10 and with Wirecutter giving it a decent review, well thats just a bonus. If I went with Wirecutter's mid-range dslr recommendation, the Nikon D7200, I think I'd be happy but its pretty expensive. I suppose I could get the entry level Nikon D3300 but that seems like a lateral move instead of an upgrade right?

Anyhow, I think I'm rambling on at this point. I would love some feedback.

Cheers
    Darren

• Would something like the Sony DSC-RX100M III if you are looking for something smaller than can shoot great photos? That way you can keep the D60 and your lenses but also have something small and light for backpacking?

• @YoThatLimp I went to the store today to look at some cameras. I saw the Sony camera you mentioned. It's small! I forgot to mention that I have a point and shoot already, one of those Olympus tough series ones that came out a few years ago. It's decent enough for what I need it to do, so I won't be getting another P&S.

• The RX100 will take far nicer pictures than whatever P&S you currently have. It wouldn't even be a contest.

For what it's worth, I think this would be a great opportunity to upgrade to the Nikon D600. I've seen them sold on Craigslist for $800, and I personally don't mind multi-day hiking with a full frame DSLR. Instead of investing in a new camera ecosystem, I think you should probably just upgrade to a nicer body.

• Buying the RX100 isn't going to happen. I don't have the budget to get another P&S.

Any problems getting a used camera body? I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. A lens maybe but a camera body just seems on a whole different level.

• Camera is really crucial for high quality photoes.

• @Darren: There's really nothing to be overly worried about. If the body works well (shoot a few pictures with it) everything should be fine. Most sellers will disclose how many shutter actuations it has.

• I'm in a very similar situation myself, I'm going for a second hand D600 body - it's got all the guts of the D80 without the weight, full frame, weather proof etc and saves me relearning the camera set up from scratch. Hopefully I'll team it with F-stop 's Anja backpack for an ancillary upgrade too!

• I'm a big fan of the Sony A6000. I used to have a Canon 5D but I've switched to the A6000 and I'm finding that I'm taking it everywhere as opposed to having to plan with the 5D and that I'm using it more and also getting better results.

I would post more, but every time I try the forum tells me there is a problem.