Canon 7D or 5D Mk. II?

Created by thattomjohnson on Sept. 25, 2012, 8:12 a.m.
  • @thattomjohnson: It's really about whether you want something for fast action, or full-frame. They're both equally good cameras within their market segment, and you need to decide what it is that you want to use it for.

• @thattomjohnson: personally, I'd be all over that full-frame. I don't do sports or racing or any sort of photography like that, so FPS doesn't matter, and I focus manually. While more focus (and xfocus) points would be nice, I'd certainly appreciate the larger frame moreso.

• @thattomjohnson: Did you ever decide?

• I still shoot my D40, it has performed admirably for what it cost me and how long it has lasted. Although, I have both a d3100 and a d5100. The d3100 I haven't used too much but I won it and it was free. The d5100 was a steal I got off craigslist. But I want to invest in a better camera, and I should be able to get a fair amount for the d3100 and d5100 on Craigslist. I want to stick with Nikon because I have a lot of Nikon glass.

Any idea on how well the D600 performs or is there a better Nikon I should look at?

Also, just for laughs, here is a great read(ha)- http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-3gs.htm
    He bought the iphone 3gs in september 2012, and scroll down to the performance part of the review that is where it gets really good.

• @thattomjohnson: I've been pretty happy with my 7D, though since I was working at a retail environ that required shooting babies a lot with a Oly E1 it took a lot of the photographic drive out of me. (Working that job for 6 years did teach me to interact with children well though, or at least get them to like me quickly a large percent of the time, which seems weird now, not doing that job...) The high framerate is awesome, I think I took my first panning shots with it here. The main things I upgraded for were the pro body and video stuff. Other than that I was pretty happy with my XTi. Again I'm a little upset I haven't challenged myself more recently but just got out of pushing a shutter button while acting like a monkey I'm not yet ready to start chimping every chance I get. We do need to get Norm to start reading the strobist if he is going to be our photo reporter and stop correcting Will when he's right like in the Ocktobercast when he said that sensor size affected DOF.