Subscribe > Sign up form missing captcha, erroring on submit

Created by spikeon on Dec. 15, 2016, 7:16 p.m.
  • Hey guys, Just signed up as a member, and ran headfirst into a bug while I was at it.

I'm a web developer, and I can pretty safely say that I know what the error is.

It appears that you have used the same handler for the subscribe > signup page as you did for the signup page, but the subscribe > signup form is missing the captcha element, and therefore all submissions are invalid. The form in question can be reached by being logged out and then proceeding to subscribe for premium content.

I was able to circumvent the issue by going to the main signup page, and then subscribing.

Hope this helps!

• @spikeon: Thanks so much for the head's up spikeon! Can you let us know know which browser/OS you used to sign up? Also, did you experience the error upon clicking the "confirm payment" button to buy the subscription or did you get it when clicking the "sign up" button when filling out your initial account information, before the transactional page for the subscription? We're currently unable to recreate the issue you reported, so we need a little more information. Thanks!

• I'm using Mac OS and Chrome. To reproduce the error: 1) Log out 2) From the main menu, go to Premium > Buy Membership 3) At the bottom of the page goto Buy Annual Membership Now. 4) Underneath the header "I'm new to tested / Create an account" there is a form. This form does not have a captcha. This form responds with "Incorrect Captcha"... or at least it did my first time. Nevermind, apparently this no longer happens. It may have been a one-time error in the process. Please delete the user "asd123123" that I was using to double check. Looks like it got sorted out somehow!
  • @spikeon: We appreciate the time you took to look into this, and we're glad that it may have been a one-time error. (Especially since we were unable to recreate in our environment.) The user you created has been de-activated. Thanks again!

• Well, this kind of thing is what I do for a living, it's really no bother.

Thanks for producing such great content!