So what are your favorite three books that you read of all time?

Created by BaskervilleManor on March 15, 2012, 6:30 p.m.
  • 1. 1984 - George Orwell 
    2. The complete works of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
    3. A Time Odyssey Series - Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter
    4. The Prefect - Alastair Reynolds
    5. The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

btw i think i might check out a few of your selections, particularly Carl Sagans (i enjoyed "Science as a Candle in the Dark") and George Orwells.
  • 1  Sherlock Holmes (not one book persay...but all of the shorts can be found in one book)
    2 Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy 
    3 Conan (same as Holmes)
    4 How to Kill a Mocking Bird (the best thing i got from middle school was this book and movie) 
    5 ....FFVII bradygames strat... :/ What? :o
  • In no specific order 

1) Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 
    2) The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins 
    3) The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark - Carl Sagan 

...maybe, ask me tomorrow and it'll probably change
  • In no particular order: 

- the god delusion 
    - a brief history of time 
    - on the origin of species   
  • Hmm, difficult! 

1. Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen. In fact just all of Jane Austen, I can read those countlessly 
    2. Harry Potter. I think I have to put this on here seen as I grew up reading them.  
    3.   Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte  
  • All "Top 3" lists are torturous to attempt to make but I'll give it a go. In no particular order: 

Any Iain M Banks Scifi novel, haven't read them all yet but I absolutely adore them. 
    Also two of his books credited Iain Banks, The Crow Road and The Wasp Factory 
    Erewhon by Samuel Butler, a beautiful satirical novel about victorian england. 
    And I always have a copy of The Complete Robot by Asimov nearby, incase I want a short dose of some positronic storytelling.  
    And at the moment I'm adoring Stephen Fry's latest biography Fry Chronicles, it's like taking a warm bubble bath in the english language. 
    Also I've recently finished The Grand Design by stephen hawking, intrigueing. And I am trying to wrestle through Godel, Escher, Bach: An eternal golden braid, but it's heavy stuff... literally and figuratively.

That wasn't really a list... at all. And had nothing to do with the original post. Terribly sorry...
  • 1)  To Kill A Mocking Bird 
    2) Final Flight
    3) The Outsiders
  • 1. Angels and Demons- Dan Brown 
    2. (the first half of) Daemon- Daniel Saurez 
    3. City of Thieves- David Benioff 

The Catcher in the Rye is also somewhere up there, plus the other two Dan Brown books in that series and probably others I can't remember. Oh, 1776 was good, too. 
  • 1. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers 
    2. 1984 - George Orwell
    2. Sons and Lovers - D.H. Lawrence 
    3. A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving 

so I cheated a little on the list...
  • All Quite on the Western Front -  Erich Maria Remarque
  • 1) Fight Club - Chuck Palahnuik 
    2) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling 
    3) Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand 
    4) Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger  
    5) Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  • I feel like listing sci-fi/fantasy only. :| 

1. A Song of Ice and Fire (series) - George R. R. Martin
    2. Hyperion Cantos (series) - by Dan Simmons
    3. Ilium/Olympos - Dan Simmons 
    4. Dune (series) - Frank Hubert  
    5. The Hobbit + The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien 

Typical choices, but doesn't hurt to emphasize.
  • Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
    A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
    Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell 
     The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell 

I only read non-fiction...
  • 1) Dune 
    2) Dune 
    3) Dune
  • I rarely read books more than once, I just read 1984 and it would probably make my top three though.  I'd also say the LOTR and Sea Wolf by Jack London.
  • 1) The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams  
    2) Surely Your Joking, Mr. Feynman! - Richard Feynman 
    3) The Animorphs - K.A. Applegate (ok they aren't  Shakespeare, but they got me into sci-fi/fantasy and got me to read more as a kid). 

Honorable Mention - The Old New Thing - Raymond Chen (It's a blog yeah, but it's influenced my views on software development a whole lot)
  • Lots of good books here!  Hitchhikers, 1984, Catch 22, all some of my favorites.  My top three books that I would say with no qualifications are masterpieces and had a huge impact on me are:

Childhood's End - Arthur C Clarke
    Brief Interviews with Hideous Men - David Foster Wallace  
    The Plague - Albert Camus

Honorable mention for Johnny Got His Gun.  Also loved the Corrections, but some parts that I found annoying or cloying keep me from listing it as a fave. 

If we were to include plays, I also love Six Degrees of Separation (John Guare), Boston Marriage (David Mammet), and Play (Samuel Beckett)
  • 1. Michel Foucault-Discipline & Punish

2. Ernst Junger-Eumeswil

3. Mikhail Bulgakov-Heart of a Dog

It's funny that none of these are English writers, and I am a native English speaker. Lists are hard to pinpoint. I probably would have a different list if you asked me next week, but I do love all of these.

• Loving this thread, picked up some ideas for books to pick up :D 

1) Thief of Time  - Terry Pratchett 
     2) Interesting Times - Terry Pratchett 
     3) Catcher In the Rye - JD Salinger 
     4) Lirael - Garth Nix (or really, any of the Abhorsen Trilogy, but Lirael  is my favourite) 
     5) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 

Although I could write a 10-book list of Terry Pratchett stuff alone, that man is a genius. 
    And so I will.

1) Thief of Time 
    2) Interesting Times 
    3) Reaper Man 
    4) Mort 
    5) The Last Continent 
    6) Guards, Guards 
    7) Night Watch 
    8) The Last Hero 
    9) Strata 
    10) Equal Rites 
  • 1. The Catcher in the Rye

2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower

3. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner)

• Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card 
    Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey
  • 1) Genesis by Bernard Beckett 
    2) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 
    3) Children of Men P.D. James 

Perhaps not in that order, but those are the top three that hit home for me. 

Also thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Quietly excited about all these books I get to read now.
  • Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

The Lord of the Rings - J. R.R Tolkien

• 1: Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card.

2: 1984 - George Orwell

3: To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Order is subject to change depending on my mood, but so are the books chosen.

• Anything from DNA, hitchhiker, Dirk Gently, (why can't I ever spell hitckiker correctly!!!!?)

Barbara Hambly stuff ( Silicon Mage. Dragonbane, and the Benjamin January series)

Song of fire and Ice

• See alot of fantasy on these lists, not very surpising I guess. :)

Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - Glad to see that it was mentioned before. Read it at an important time in my early life, and was important to me.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- Also been mentioned a few times, don't have much else to say

Game Change by - This is the book I just recently finished, although it came out shortly after the 2008 election. Could not put this book down, and made me want to learn more about politics, with the election coverage starting up for 2012 seemed like a good primer. Also scary to think about what could have happended if Palin was the Veep.

• Updating my List!

1) Thief of Time - Terry Pratchett

2) Interesting Times - Terry Pratchett

3) Lirael - Garth Nix (or really, any of the Abhorsen Trilogy, but Lirael is my favourite)

4) The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson

5) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

• In no real order. Life & Fate - Vasily Grossman Quite fond of Irvine Welsh novels but if I have to pick one I'll plump for Filth Anything by Dickens but I'll go for Pickwick Papers for making me snicker throughout Not sure if these are my favourite 3 books but I'd have no problem revisiting any of them for a second or third reading.
  • Hrm. I guess whatever book I'm in the middle of. However, I do have a few favs.

• The General's General: The Life and Times of Arthur MacArthur
    • Ubik
    • Silmarillion

• 1) Wizards First Rule

2) Into Thin Air

3) The Name of the Wind