Quantcast

What Are You Reading?

Created by eznark on March 15, 2012, 6:22 p.m.
  • Homeland by Cory Doctorow, really loving it.

• Doomsday Book by Connie Willis turned out to be pretty good. Different tone than To Say Nothing of the Dog. It's very sad.

Currently reading The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. I'm about 50 pages in to book three right now. These books aren't written to hold up as individual novels, it's more just one long novel split into three parts. Interesting story. Very unpredictable. Two thirds of the way through and I'm still not sure where Abercrombie is going with it. There is some hilariously poorly written dialogue, particularly in the first book, but otherwise i'm enjoying the ride so far.

Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say that he has nine fingers.

• Dreden files White Night (rereading the series for the... 5. time i think)

• (Times Read) Book (Rating) - Author

Recently Finished:

Anathem (***)- Neal Stephenson

Creation:Life and How to Make It (***)- Stephen Grand

When Harlie was one (***)- David Gerrold

Terminal Freedom (**)- Daniel Keys Moran

Revelation (***)- Genevieve Pearson

(3)The Planiverse (*****)- A.K. Dewdney

Sons of Macha (****)- John Lenahan

Currently reading:

Artificial Life (***)- Steven Levy

Digital Biology (***)- Peter J. Bentley

Dodger (***)- Terry Pratchett

(4)Emerald Eyes (****)- Daniel Keys Moran

Call of Cthulhu for Beginning Readers (*****)- DrFaustusAU

In Queue:

Homeland - Cory Doctorow

(7)The Long Run (*****)- Daniel Keyes Moran

(2)The Last Dancer (****)- Daniel Keys Moran

(2)The Big Boost (****)- Daniel Keys Moran

(3)The Adolecence of P1 (*****)- Thomas J. Ryan

Poor Man's Fight - Elliot Kay

Frozen Sky - Jeff Carlson

Avagadro Corp. - William Hertling

The Soulbearer Trilogy - Christa Mchugh

(4)Ender's Game (*****)- Orson Scott Card

Gotta read "Ender" again before the movie comes out in November!

If you liked Snow Crash, you should definitely check out "The Long Run", my favorite book of all time. It's in a sequence after "Emerald Eyes", but it's not absolutely necessary to read that one first.

• I'm reading Wool right now, which is fabulous.

• Ive begun Infinite Jest, and will probably read the Mistborn series (or at least the first 3) next.

• American Gods is up for sale on Amazon Kindle Store for 1.99. Might be today only?

http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Anniversary-Edition-ebook/dp/B004YW4L5K/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1367126751&sr=8-1

I'm wondering about buying it, even though I rarely read anything on my Kindle.... hmmm...

• My Man Jeeves.

I found a rather lovely Penguin Books version from 1939, out in a big pile of throwaway books, after already watching the rather splendid TV version from the late 90's, i decided that i might aswell give it a read.

Thus, my previous read "Moab is my Washpot", has been put on hold.
  • 'Count Belisarius' by Rovbert Graves. Not as good as the 'I, Claudius' books, but enjoyable.

'The Mighty Toddler' by Robin Barker (we have a 15 month year old)

• Just finishing up The Great Karoo (Amazon link) by Fred Stenson. A teenager wants to expand his horizons and signs up for war. He's Canadian and he's off the Boer War. Written in a friendly style and still keeping me interested. Hopefully it'll wind up being satisfying.

• Just finishing Chris Hadfield's book: Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.

I really enjoyed it - very easy reading, lots of little details, quite inspiring, and some useful advice for people working with other people in technical/scientific fields.

• I'm onto "The KLF -- Chaos, Magic and the Band who burned a Million Pounds” (Amazon link) by John Higgs now; really quite good. But it's not just about the band, it's about the ideas and the people that inspired the band… and just how strange it really is. The JFK assassination to "Doctorin' the Tardis" in a couple of easy steps.

• @will said:

I'm reading Wool right now, which is fabulous.

I'm reading this now too after you guys all talked about it during Oktobercast. Really enjoying it so far, and about 1/3rd of the way in.

I know you said that the prequel/sequel is not needed if you are okay with the ending of this one. I'm curious to know how I'll feel at the end.

Also, there is a graphic novel version of this book coming out.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Graphic-Novel-Kindle-Serial-ebook/dp/B00DL6CY4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387661712&sr=8-1&keywords=wool+graphic+novel

free preview of it:

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Graphic-SPECIAL-PREVIEW-EDITION-ebook/dp/B00F8KSY1Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387661712&sr=8-2&keywords=wool+graphic+novel

• I used to read a lot of Fantasy, the better part of last year was dedicated to reading The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan, finally resulting in a purchase of the signed edition of A Memory of Light.

When I was younger I used to read a lot of physical books. I have the entire works of Robin Hobb for example (Great Author and equally great books). I am now over 18 and can use my creditcard online, resulting in me discovering the Kindle Store and eBooks. I now read almost exclusively eBooks on my phone or on my tablet (I don't have an eReader, yet)

I am now reading a merged version of the Zones of Thought trilogy by Vernor Vinge. Since I joined Goodreads I've tracked all my reading there. You can look at my profile if you want. This year I've so far managed to read 88 books (just a smidge over 30 000 pages according to Goodreads)

• @Armandur:  Well done! i've done more reading since i bought my first kindle than I ever have. thankful for that.

I just finished up The Paleo Manifesto by John Durant. Inspired to read it from Mark Frauenfelder's interview with him on boingboing's podcast: Incredibly Interesting Authors. The show only has three episodes so far, but the title nails it in my opinion.
  • Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Just finished The KLF - Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pound by John Higgs and am about to start reading The League of ExtraOrdinary Gentlemen (omnibus edition) by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill.

• Following on from Will's recommendation on the podcast, I am reading Wool. While it's not FABULOUSLY written, it does the job and is certainly compelling.

Trying to decide if I should read the next 2 books or not...

• Make: Electronics (learning by discovery)by Charles Platte Ones i finish reading that book i will move on to Make: Arduino Bots and Gadgets by Kimmo Karvinen Tero Karvinen.

• Artificial Intelligence: The Basics by Kevin Warwick - A decent primer for an overview of A.I. with lots of suggested reading material based on areas of interest within A.I.

Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture by Adam S. McHugh

• Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull

• I am currently reading the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series from the beginning, again .. never seem to finish it, wander off somewhere around book 7 .. well when i first read it there wasnt a book seven but thats another story. Pulp fantasy but not everything i read has to be great prose ... actually very little i read is .. i prefer to be entertained more than challenged.

Recently read a Patrick O'Brian book, "Desolation Island".. the 4th book in what has to be the best historical fiction ever written, but im afanboy so bias included. Although the movie "Master and Commander" was entertaining .. the books are .. art. I cant recommend them highly enough to anyone who likes history, military history or things nautical.

For Non-Fiction I recently read several WWII books, 2 were about Canadian Artillery and likely of little interest to anyone that doesnt already know of their existance, but the other "Desert War" by Alan Moorehead is really special - and i say that having read alot of WWII non-fiction. As journalist attached to the Allies in N. Africa he follows the campaign around with a perfect mix of the macro and the micro. Some points he is talking to the top Generals and gets the wide view of whats going on, and at others he is just a man trying to stay alive and find a decent place to get some sleep. Really well written and entertaining to boot.

• At the moment im reading two books. I usually try to read one fiction and one non fiction at a time, skipping between both.

Riding rockets by Mike Mullane - One of the first space shuttle special astronauts. Its interesting, funny and very much worth the read. Im just past the challenger disaster and its really powerful stuff. Cant recommend it enough so far.

The other book is called Yes man by Danny Wallace. It was made into a very average Jim Carey movie but the book is one of the funniest ive ever read. Some of the chapters are hysterically funny. If you can pick this up its definitely worth it.

• Just finished "Maps and Legends" by Michael Chabon and have started "The Circle" by Dave Eggers.

• My fiction for the moment consists of the Travis McGee series by John MacDonald. I'm on "The Long Lavender Look" currently.

For non-fiction, I always have a few going. Right now:

• Moonwalking with Einstein by Foer
    • The Joiner and Cabinet Maker by Schwarz
    • How to Think Ahead in Chess by Horowitz

I'm looking for a nice photography reference book, if any of you have a good one to recommend. I'm an OK photographer, but would like to improve!

• I just finished Cory Doctorow's Little Brother and its sequel Homeland. Highly recommended.

• Finishing the Wheel of Time Series,'A Memory of Light' on the final chapter.

Brandon Sanderson did a good job of bringing all of the threads together based on Robert Jordan's final notes.

Also found a new Adventure writer, David Wood, who has characters and stories that are similar to Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels

Recently finished:

• Godzilla: Awakening
    • The Skin Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
    • The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, Book One) (did not really care for this)
    • Doctor Sleep: A Novel (The Shining Book 2)
    • Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet Book 1)