What Are You Reading?

Created by eznark on March 15, 2012, 6:22 p.m.
  • Not so much reading, but really loving the photography.

Brian Shul - Sled Driver and his second book The Untouchables.
    Both books about him and the gorgeous and phenomenal Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.

• @Flibster: are you a clancy fan? Without Remorse is the last one I read. Great ambitions to start at the beginning of the Jack Ryan and read through. Red Rabbit is a bit plodding and I got distracted.

• @tmee: I am. Without Remorse is probably my favourite of his books too. Although Debt of Honour and Executive Orders come pretty close, and can be read as one long book as well if you feel the urge.

Without Remorse is also really the earliest of the Jack Ryan books *kinda* so it's a great place to start.

Red Rabbit isn't that great. It's certainly one you can skip quite happily and not really miss out at all.

But since Clancy started writing the Jack Ryan Jr books, they went downhill. Coincides with when he started writing with someone else unsurprisingly and when he died and the writing went solely to other authors, yeah... best not say much about them. But I've spent so much time reading about these characters that I keep buying the books just to keep up with their story.

I'd love for someone to spend the money to create a full cast reading of the early books. I'm a sucker for those. The Godfather with a full cast is one of the very best audiobooks I've got.

• Ender's Game and Speaker for the dead! Now its time for Xenocide.

• Currently reading Armada by Ernest Cline.

• Currently re-reading the Sword of Truth series. I am also thinking about re-reading the Lost Fleet series simply cause i got to book 4 and now there are like 13 books to the series.

• Just finished Seveneves, I am now reading the Martian.

• I'm now starting Aurora

• Just finished Seveneves. Just starting Reamde.

• I've just re-read The Martian and have now started Ready Player One.

Not to spoil anything, but it's a bit of a bummer to start with. Maybe it hits a little too close to home in the sense that I could see things going the way they have in the start of the book.

• I finished Ready player one a month ago. Solid story line I enjoyed it.

• Just finished Chris Hadfield's An Astronauts's Guide to life on Earth. A very good read about what it takes to become an astronaut and what you can learn from that process.

• Nearly finished Seveneaves and started the Yiddish Policemen's Union. What the hell is going on with the last third of Seveneaves?! The book had me staying up till midnight for the first two thirds. Now I'm struggling to pick it back up. The guy know how to write space but his vision of the far flung future sucks.
  • I just finished Priest & Thief written by Mathew Colville. both were great reads.

• Currently reading, Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton.

Science fiction murder mystery detective kinda thing. Only third of way through it, intrigued.

May take some time, it's massive....

• if the only thing Tested ever did was introduce me to Cixin Liu's Three Body trilogy it would be worth every penny i ever spent here. Three Body by itself is fascinating, but the next books, Dark Forest and Death's End can change world views.

i am completely blown away by these books, which is not uncommon reaction apparently. i can feel so many flavours of great works past, from Foundation to Hitchhiker's Guide to Martian Chronicles, but I don't feel like I have read (audiobook) anything this epic in scope since maybe War and Peace. I will say that i had to listen to each book twice on audiobook to try to grasp some of the more difficult concepts and it was worth it.

You know that thing some fine works do where they dig you into a story, but then they shift your perspective on the story they just told? Now imagine that on a cosmological scale in both time and space. Like So Long and Thanks for all the Fish but more. The end felt like a manifesto for whatever it is that we call sentience or intelligence. I truly wish I knew Chinese.

I went on the web briefly to find discussion, it is quite hilarious, because the book is full of descriptions of the philosophies and beliefs of counterposed factions and their arguments about topics , and this is the same thing you find onine in discussions of it. It is almost a commentary upon commentary and the human pattern of thought process. But it is one of those books that people who both love it will fundamentally disagree on it's meaning. Except they can agree on it's impact and depth, and the way it spurs the mind, sparks the dark corners to life.

i heard they are making movies from these books, i can't imagine a budget less than, say, 50 billion dollars would do it justice. It just seems impossible to capture something this big on a film.

So thanks Tested for keeping the flame alive.

• Bad Science by Ben Goldacre.

This book answers a lot of questions that have been bothering me and explains it rigorously, exactly and with unexpected amazing hilarity. To be honest with you, I have not really encounter something this funny with this level of science, but then again this is not my subject. Doctors and scientist do not have a reputation for being funny and Bill Nye (god bless him for trying) is not helping.

The book covers a lot of topics related to science such as the media reporting scientific studies badly, studies with bad methods, misrepresentation of nutrition in public health on an international scale, homeopathy, understanding statistics and does it with a good introduction to the scientific method. Most, importantly he shines a light on the fact that pharmaceutical companies have not been ethical in sharing the results of the clinical data that has come up. Not only does he describes the problem holistically, he designed a pathway to a solution and enacted it in his alltrials website. Also, that does not mean the issue is resolved; it was more a step in the right direction. Book is a bit dense and verbose (for me at least) but the wit gets you through it. With no question or hyperbole, this is the best a book I read all year.

If you are thinking about reading it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MhbkWJzKk

He does a better job summarizing it in his TED talk.

Sidenote: I tweeted a typo at the author and publisher. He replied with a joke. Was a big shock... @.@ Oh, the power of twitter.