Quantcast

What Are You Reading?

Created by eznark on March 15, 2012, 6:22 p.m.
  • Since getting a nook I have been reading a freaking ton.  Today I was reading in the park while I waited for my truck to get some new Eagle Alloys and Nitto Terra Grapplers...I kind of felt like a predator.  But it was too nice a day to NOT read outside while I waited on the tire and wheel package. 

Anyway, currently I am reading Crazy 08 a fantastic book about the amazing pennant races in 1908. I absolutely love baseball history and while there have been some amazing years, Ms. Murphy may have it right when she says 08 is the best.  Inspired by the excellent debut of Justified on FX I picked up ELmore Leonard's Pronto because it introduces Raylon, the lead character in the TV show.  Only met him once so far and he could not be further from Olyphant's portrayal.   

Last week I finished Then We Came to the End.  It was a decent book about office life but it was too clever by half.  Also finished Consider Phlebas this month.  I thought I had a new favorite writer in Banks about halfway through, but by the end I can't even motivate myself to start Player of Games, the sequel.  He creates such an awesome world with interesting races...then sticks you in a cave.  Awful, awful ending to that one.  Well, the epilogue is fine, but the general ending is terrible. 

So, what are you guys reading?
  • Pretty much everything from O'Rielly! I don't really find time to read fiction.
    However, I think every geek should read Jpod and Microserfs by Douglas Coupland
  • I've been reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which I'm really liking so far, its a detective thriller and it takes place in Sweden.  If the rest of the trilogy is of similar quality then they'll be a must buy for me. 

The book I finished before that was Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, a really fantastic sci fi story.   SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
      You follow two story lines that are expertly intertwined and it doesn't talk down to you when its being cerebral. 

Turning back to fiction has been a good break for me, since I've read almost exclusively non fiction for nearly the past year.
  • I see we have a Books forum now, huzzah. 

I've been reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein.  The former is standard cyberpunk affair, the latter is about a western journalist who got a job in Japan and did work on organized crime there, very interesting.
  • I haven't read a book in ages... I'm picky when it comes to books also I'd rather spend what money I do have on games usually.
  • Side note: It is unnecessarily difficult to link to an image offsite.
  • @MAGZine: I've read the original more than a few times!
  • @Monkeysphere said:

" I've been reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which I'm really liking so far, its a detective thriller and it takes place in Sweden.  If the rest of the trilogy is of similar quality then they'll be a must buy for me. 

The book I finished before that was Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, a really fantastic sci fi story.   SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
      You follow two story lines that are expertly intertwined and it doesn't talk down to you when its being cerebral.  Turning back to fiction has been a good break for me, since I've read almost exclusively non fiction for nearly the past year. "  
     I'm intermittently reading the second book in that series "The Girl Who Played with Fire" Stieg Larsson and "Breaking the Spell" Daniel Dennett. Kind of balancing fiction and non-fiction, Stieg Larsson's books are more immediately interesting and quickly become hard to put down but I feel a little better having learnt something or been given something to think about or seek more knowledge in after reading.  

As far as recommendations go I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Stieg Larsson's series for anyone with the faintest interest in fiction books and finds the description at all interesting. Pretty early in with Dennett's book so I won't pass judgement yet, though it is interesting so far. The best similar book I could recommend would be "God is Not Great" Christopher Hitchens, or "The Selfish Gene" Richard Dawkins, though I wouldn't say The Selfish Gene relates so directly to religion It's the most entertaining non fiction book I've ever read, good for making me think. By the way, no offence or judgement based on those recommendations is intentional, those are just of interest to me, and could be to others.
  • @markhole said:
    " @MAGZine: I've read the original more than a few times! "
    At the rate I'm moving through this book, you probably HAD to just to fully understand everything the book was saying! :D
  • @MAGZine: a-freaking men.  I was going to link to covers but no thanks with the hassle
  • @MAGZine: all I have to say to that is that I will more than likely read it again!
  • I went by Barnes and Noble this morning and picked up The Name of the Wind. I'll start on that tonight.

I hadn't bought anything new in ages so I went on a bit of a spree, it helped that they actually had a bunch of books I was looking for.  I ended up getting The Road, Ender in Exile, and Foundation.

A bit disappointed that they still didn't have The Last Colony though.
  • @MAGZine: Is it particularly difficult to read? I'd be interested in giving it a go but I've got a feeling I could be confused to the point of migraine within the first few pages. I'm a semi-intelligent layman if that helps and recently had to give up reading "Consciousness Explained" Daniel Dennett after getting to a point where an entire chapter went by without me understanding enough to reiterate a point, though I had intended on re-reading it a few times to get it properly. He kept going on about heterophenomenology, duality and the pineal gland. :P
  • @Zaxex: Either taking physics in Highschool or post-secondary will help your reading ability of the book immensely, because when it being to explain some of the more difficult to reach ideas, it relies on some more basic concepts of physics that it helps to understand. The book has a fair amount of colored illustrations (some of them that made be LOL pretty hard), which help to explain the context of the book. 

The book itself doesn't read like a normal read. When the book starts discussing theory of general relativity for example, I think I had to go back and re-read some selections over and over - entire paragraphs at a time. It's not a leisurely read - you need to be giving your undivided attention to the book in order to get past some of the concepts it presents. It's a good thing to understand everything as you go through the book, because it's likely to resurface. Finally, it's not a book you want to read once, but maybe twice or three times so you can understand everything the book is saying. 

I wouldn't say the book uses big words/is hard to understand, you just have to do a fair amount of understanding/concept grasping.
  • @MAGZine: Thanks, I think I might give it a shot soon, worst case scenario I can't get everything from it but it should be worth testing myself and seeing what I can grasp. Should be interesting. :)
  • @Zaxex: That's how it was for me. It IS entirely possible that I'm just an idiot - but it wasn't an easy read for me. In any case, good luck and enjoy! I'd be curious to know if the older, original book - A Brief History of Time - reads the same way.
  • @Zaxex: The secret to reading the Stephen Hawking books is to make sure that you keep reading stuff until you actually comprehend it. Because of the way the book builds concepts on top of prior concepts, if you miss something early on, it becomes incomprehensible quickly.  

Definitely worth reading though. It will change the way you look at the world around you.
  • I've been reading My Booky Wook on my iPhone for the second time. I highly recommend it.
  • @will: Thanks for the advice Will, I've ordered the original from Amazon, should get it Tuesday. Briefer wasn't in stock from Amazon, so I got the original for simplicities sake. Looking forward to reading it. :)
  • I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson.  So far it's been a pretty slow read, but if I remember right, other Stephenson books I've read don't really pick up until you're about 1/4th of the way in.  I keep hoping that I'm on the cusp of the book getting better.
  • I took a break from reading The Divine Comedy, after finishing Inferno and started reading The Aeneid. Not an easy read by any stretch of the word.

• @itchyeyes: I drove Boston to Indiana and back a few times last year and listened to Stephenson's Anathem over the course of a few drives.   

I'm still waiting for it to pick up.
  • @itchyeyes: The first few chapters of Cryptonomicon are pretty slow. It really ratchets up after that.
  • Nothing, I really need to do some reading though.
  • I'm reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

It's a good book, but I'll have to get a new one soon.
  • The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet for English class.
  • Dune...again.
  • I can't even remember the last book i read. As soon as the required books for school where out of the way i never touched one again and that is a long long time ago.
  • Currently reading The Looking Glass Wars, which is apparently a 'best seller' for the Teen Section at B&N. 

Oh, and for reasonable books I've recently read, I've read What Would Google Do? (Jeff Jarvis) and The Dumbest Generation (?).

• Life, the Universe, and Everything by Douglass Adams.