The Martian Movie

Created by seanblah12 on Sept. 30, 2015, 8:59 a.m.
  • Just got home from seeing the movie, is amazing, everyone should go see it, seriously, go.

• I loved the movie too. I have seen it twice already. From the beautiful visuals to the great casting it was terrific.

I have one criticism with the Annie Montrose character being so different from the novel. She was such a b*ll buster in the book. In film she was portrayed as a weak female surrounded by mostly men doing the real work a la Sigourney Weaver in Galaxy Quest.

Thanks Tested for turning me on to the book. The audiobook was spectacular and the movie just so amazing.

• Just got back from the theatre, it was indeed amazing :)

• Just got back too. It was a good movie.

Only real complaint is it felt like stripped a lot of the science out of it. A lot of the rational and testing that Watney went through in book was shortened for the film. I know it makes it more palatable for mainstream audiences, but for me that was the real appeal of the story.

• I saw it tonight in 3D on Regal's "RPX" projector.

The 3D is well done and subtle but probably not worth the extra $2 it'll cost you. I went with it because it was the only way to see it on the super-big-screen locally. Where the 3D really stands out is in the transitions on Mars, making it really feel big.

@icanswim said:

Just got back too. It was a good movie.

Only real complaint is it felt like stripped a lot of the science out of it. A lot of the rational and testing that Watney went through in book was shortened for the film. I know it makes it more palatable for mainstream audiences, but for me that was the real appeal of the story.

Agreed in terms of stripping some of the science for time. My complaint about that was more that it made him seem super human. From the time he gets the first inkling of potatoes to the first plant popping up was only a few minutes.

• @thecravenone: Just remembered my other complaint. A big omission that I think ventures into spoiler territory so I'll save it for the Still Untitled spoilercast thread.

• Just got home from seeing it. It was a great movie

Probably the Best Film adaptation of a book i have ever seen.