Seveneves (no spoilers will be given please give none in return)

Created by uncle_tuku on Aug. 28, 2015, 12:41 a.m.
  • I started reading Seveneves and I love this book! It's amazing! For those of you who haven't read it I wanted to give a couple points about the book (Keep in mind I have only just finished Chapter 4)

No spoilers, I will not be spoiling anything in this book, please do not spoil anything for those who have not read it yet in this thread.

- You may think the book is slow at first, I thought so to and realized that this book isn't so much slow as it is Dense. By this I mean they pack allot of information in to get everything across perfectly.

- This is HARD science fiction, there are no blaster rifles and protocol droids (Though there are robots that have so far played a decently big roll)

- That dose not mean that its all science, The story is about people (many of them amazingly intelgent and inventive...essentially makers) and how they react to the moon exploding

- Belive me when I tell you that knowing the first line of the book "The moon exploded without warning" spoils nothing at all about anything about the story. It becomes secondary very quickly, nothing more than a set peice compaired to....well you will see.

This is a great book but it is so dense (in a way I am not used to ) that I can only read one or two chapters at a time because I really need that time to process the events...especially what I just read at the end of chapter 4 !

• I have it in hand now. I've read the first line and looking forward to diving in.

• Well, it's done. Enjoyed parts 1 and 2 deeply. 3 left me....drifting and 'eh'.

Although it didn't end this way, I think I could have handled the last line being

"The earth blew up with no warning and with no apparent reason."

But then again, just a touch to over the top twist wise.

• I couldn't agree more. I actually listened to this book and found myself deeply engaged in the first two parts. But the third just seemed to fall a little flat. Overall, it is a great story, but I think I would have enjoyed it more as a two book (or more) series. that way we would get more character development later as well as a little more conclusiveness in the end.

John Nanci said:

Well, it's done. Enjoyed parts 1 and 2 deeply. 3 left me....drifting and 'eh'.

• @Mike3553 said:

I couldn't agree more. I actually listened to this book and found myself deeply engaged in the first two parts. But the third just seemed to fall a little flat. Overall, it is a great story, but I think I would have enjoyed it more as a two book (or more) series. that way we would get more character development later as well as a little more conclusiveness in the end.

John Nanci said:

Well, it's done. Enjoyed parts 1 and 2 deeply. 3 left me....drifting and 'eh'.

I found part 2 to be the weakest for me personally, but it was still INSANELY great. I enjoyed part 3 the most, because it felt a LOT like many of the golden age sci-fi novels I read as a kid and teenager, most of which I found out about in OMNI magazine.