Seveneves by Neal Stephenson *Spoilers if you haven't read*

Created by Darren on July 28, 2015, 11:59 a.m.
  • So thanks to the recommendations by Adam and @Will, I picked up Seveneves and was immediately hooked. Not to the point of addiction like The Martian but close enough with plenty of late night readings. However I need to get something off my chest.

For anybody who's finished reading it, did you notice a certain drop-off (I'm not sure how to describe it) about 2/3 of the way into the book? I'm at a point now where I'm just reading it for the sake of finishing the book. I guess 5000 years does that eh?

• Agreed, you are suddenly asked to start caring about characters you have no investment in. At least that's how it felt to me.

• As you say, the first two thirds are great. Really interesting characters in an incredible situation, but then it feels like a different story once that part ends. Having said that, It's a great book and I'm going to check out some more of his work on the strength of this read.

• I'd agree the last third I just slogged through. I've been away from the book for about a month I think I'm going to hit it once more to see if I can see a bit more of the ancestry in the the new cast. I enjoyed the discovery of the two new factions that were not a part of the seven more so than the new cast.

• Awesome. I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way about this book.

• I also picked up Seveneves after the recommendation. As all of you mentions i also feel I lost a lot of the characters that i have started to feel for when the 5000 year jump happened. The last section of the book wasn't bad but i think Seveneves would had worked better as a 2-3 book series. My native language is Swedish so i had some problem getting the overall view of the expanding ISS, so more graphical art had been helpful. Overall it was a great read. I will continue read the Tested recommendations, also i really like the Spoliercast that come with.

• I saw the last third of the book as an extended epilogue, it gives general ideal of how everything turned out and of how the future will be for the different factions. It took me a while to transition from the characters I had been reading, but it gave me a sense of closure which I'm not sure I would have gotten without the time jump.

• I just finished Seveneves yesterday. Unlike most of the posters here, I was actually _waiting_ for the jump to the future. "Yes yes, it's difficult to survive in space, show me how humanity ends up already!" :D

Despite the name of the book, I kept expecting for more people to survive. After the three-year jump with 28 (IIRC) people left alive, I was like "What? That can't be right, how are they supposed to survive now?"

I kept being surprised by the story, except by the existence of the Diggers, which I guessed pretty much right away after the 5k year jump.

Neil Stephenson didn't disappoint. :)

• Similarly to others, I lost a bit of interest after the 5000 year jump - previous to that I had been completely hooked and really invested in the characters. I realise that humans could change dramatically after all those years of breeding, but it seemed strange to me that such distinct races would form, I'd have thought there would've been plenty of interbreeding between them. Then when the Pingers showed up that was about my limit of what I'd say is believable (I realise it's all relative) but I'm just glad that occurred at the end, otherwise I might have struggled to keep reading it.

All being said, I did love the book, cheers for the recommendation guys!

• I think it took me twice as long to finish part 3 than parts 1 and 2 combined. That being said, I can't wait to listen to next week's Still Untitled to hear what you and Adam have to say about part 3.

I found myself staying up til 2am reading Armada last night. Once that's finished, I'm going back to Neal's work and read Cryptonomicon. :)

• As mentioned in another one of the threads, I liked part 3 the best, mainly because it reminded me a lot of the golden age sci fi novels I read when I was young...

Oh, and I love the part about the staff of KRAФЦMAN (CRAFTSMAN or SRAPTASMANR as Bard called it), and that's why I decided to have patches made for it.